Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanksgiving dinner


I don't know how many of you non-American readers have had the chance to celebrate Thanksgiving day with an American family and American recipes. Hence, I can't know how many of you ever tried sweet mashed potatoes, turkey stuffing or, by far my personal favorite, pecan pie.

Therefore, I will have to tell you all about it in one of my future posts... Just kidding! No, I will tell you my first impression of a Thanksgiving dinner right here, in these lines, because I was there and I have to share it with the world!


First of all, for those of you who are about to say that Thanksgiving is not due until 2 days from now, I just want to say that because this year it's on Thursday and people also have jobs to go to, we celebrated it earlier, so that's why we had ours last Sunday. Well, not exactly ours, but our friends', who were kind enough to share it with us.


Most Romanians (if not all) know that during a feast, you end up having at least 3-4 dishes served in a certain sequence which can last for hours and hours (just think of a wedding, is that tiresome or what?). Not here. Not with Thanksgiving dinner!
All the dishes come out on the table at the same time and you end up staring at a table full of plates and bowls and trays of food! It's quite a site, I tell ya!

Then, also part of an unwritten rule (at least I think it's unwritten) after saying grace (of course) you grab the first platter in front of you, get as much food as you think you can eat and fit onto your plate, then pass it on to your left or right (you have to remember which way and stick to it in order to avoid accidents). This "pass it on" game goes on until you had some of everything and/or you can't fit anymore on your plate. And don't laugh, but your plate (even though it's big) tends to get full pretty fast!


So what did I have? Well, sweet mashed potatoes (didn't expect them to be orange), broccoli with some sort of bread crumb and cheese topping (if I understood and remembered correctly), an apple, grapes, caramelized pecan and...erm I forgot what the other fruit or vegetable was, covered in mayo salad, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes (one of, if not the best I've ever had so far), gravy and, of course, turkey and turkey stuffing. Almost all of them new dishes with a whole lot of new flavors to process and enjoy!


For dessert, we had pecan pie, which is, from now on, one of my favorite desserts in the whole world! I could also add that I found the cranberry sauce (which you're suppose to have along with the turkey - I think) is also a nice dessert, but that's just me!


All this food was "seasoned" with very pleasant conversations and laughter, the way any dinner amongst friends should be. All in all, we had a great time and we enjoyed very much trying new things and discovering new recipes and dishes that we like or love.

I really recommend you all to try it sometime, not just American food, but any type of food that someone is willing and kind enough to share with you! My guess is that you won't regret it! Even if it might not be to your liking, at least you will have that in your "database" and know whether you should recommend it to someone else or not.


To any American person reading this post and who hasn't had his or her Thanksgiving dinner yet, or to any other person, regardless of their nationality, planning on having a Thanksgiving dinner, I wish to you:

Happy Thanksgiving day!

No comments: