Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Passion or ambition?


...more like plain insanity.

Bigger.

Better.

Faster.

Always more.

Why do I wish for the things I do? I don't really know. Maybe that's why I'm writing this, just to try and figure it out, make it clearer for myself. Sometimes you see the bigger picture when it's on the paper in front of you better than when you have it well laid out in your head. Or at least you think you do.

It's good to have a hobby, but when that hobby starts eating more and more resources and you invest more and more into it, it becomes a passion. And when that passion goes beyond reason, then it's an obsession and you should really tread carefully before you wreck yourself or end up hurting someone else in the process.

So what does ambition have to do with all this? I guess somewhere in between all those "definitions" I blurted out here, there's this grey area where instead of pushing yourself and challenging yourself to invest into some things that one would normally wouldn't, you feel compelled, pushed by some external and not always objective forces to "excel" in that area and be "above the rest".

Finally, when you go beyond everything described here, then it's insanity. Nothing and no one makes sense anymore. It's just full fledged, down right, good ol' fashioned insanity.

Is a mixture of all of the above even possible? I don't know. I guess since I thought about it, that may too be the case.

Here's the task I assign to you now: think of one of the things you love most and then ask yourselves: which one is it: hobby? passion? ambition? obsession? or plain insanity?...or maybe something else?

Hmm...interesting thought, isn't it? Could there be more?

Just think about it!

No comments: