Thursday, September 13, 2012

Why Nokia will go bankrupt


...or be taken over, eventually.

Did I mention this before? Well, if I have, then I guess it's just the Alzheimer's setting in.

First I would just like to reinforce one of my previous statements, as I stand by it, but at the same time I would also like to make it a bit clearer: I love Nokia for what they achieved...up to a certain point and extent. After that, I can't take the risk of recommending it to anyone but hardcore fans, but they are already fanatics, so they don't need any encouragement from me.

But no more beating around the bush. Here's my two cents on the matter: I think that Nokia made two fundamental and historical mistakes along the way, that will, eventually lead to its demise (one way - bankruptcy - or the other - takeover/joint venture).

1. They didn't drop the Symbian when they should have and had the chance - and I don't mean switching for any of the existing solutions out there (iOS, Android and especially NOT the Windows Mobile crap) - when what they should really have been focusing on was a complete, build-it-yourself-from-ground-up OS.
2. They tried to become the next "all touch display" giant, but they lacked the technology (give it up already with the resistive displays!), the ideas and basically...everything. So they should have made some improvements and play a little with touch displays (maybe like they have with the E6), but stick with their physical keyboards. You can go ahead and call me a softy (no pun intended), but I miss ye ol' keyboard on any phone.

So what are my predictions? Nokia is already staggering its way into the touch display market trying to catch up by bringing outlandish camera resolutions and wireless charging, but I don't think that's really going to help. One by one, Nokia will take steps backwards, inadvertently conceding more ground to its competitors (Samsung and Apple) who are already gaining a lot of momentum and are not going to be easily stopped by the former glory of the no.1 seller for so many consecutive years.

In many ways, I think Nokia will have to suffer the same fate as Motorola. You do remember those guys, right? They sort of invented the whole mobile phone business. Really. Where are they now? Playing runner up to the last place? Of course, that's not an actual standing, but you get the point.

I really believe Nokia is past its prime and it will suffer a cruel, but rather fair fall and all it's got to blame for, is itself. All in all, I would say every single step that Nokia has taken in the past 3-4 years have been in the wrong direction and now they find themselves running downhill, without being able to stop, so it's just a matter of time before they will fall flat on their nose, if you don't mind my analogy.

That being said, I really hope that in a couple of years' time, I will be able to say that I was wrong and to find my self corrected by reality, in the most positive way possible. Until then, though, and at least temporary, I think I will part ways with Nokia.

Best of luck to you Finns!

No comments: