Sunday, March 12, 2023

(Belated from 2020) We are living wondrous times


 

I'm sure most people reading this will quickly assert that this article is about the current Coronavirus/Covid-19/Sars-Cov-2 pandemic, but you would be wrong.

Reading an article about actress/actor Elle/Elliot Page today has triggered something inside of me. I have taken an interest in Elle's acting career since she starred in Juno, I think. Then went back a little and enjoyed "Freaks and geeks".

I've read/heard she was a lesbian, which didn't surprise me that much a few years a go. In fact, I was more like "good for her", she's finally found herself!

Now I read this article about her saying she's transgender and identifies as being (mostly - if I understand this correctly, as being a "he"). 

What really titillates me about this (besides an interesting actress potentially becoming an interesting actor) is the fact that we, as a human species, have reached the stage where we can try and correct some of nature's mistakes ourselves.

We are no longer left with few choices ranging from living our whole lives "in the closet" to actually committing suicide, but we can become what we feel we were born to be.

Make no mistake, I am not saying that this is easy. From a social standpoint down to the medical/physiological point of view. It's not easy changing gender. I get that. But it is nonetheless truly amazing that we've reached the stage where a person who is aware of their misalignment with their gender has the choice to surgically become what their mind tells them they should be and, consequently, live the lives they feel they were meant to.

No more depression. No more stigma (mostly). No more regrets.

This, for me at least, is the future I'd like to live in.

For me, a transgender person is just someone who was lucky enough to have the means and opportunity to make their body follow suit to what they feel.

I, however, don't feel the need to label them as transgender. For me, a person who physically changes sex becomes that new gender. It doesn't really matter what they were before in the present.

I do make a distinction regarding their physical gender in the timeline though. As far as I am concerned, whatever gender you were born with, that's what you were up until the time you yourself realized that you were really meant to be.

So Bruce Jenner was a guy who won the  Olympics, even though a few years ago, that guy ceased to exist and Caitlyn Jenner emerged (even before the actual sex change operation).

To my limited understanding of this phenomenon, it is physically much easier to switch from male to female, so if the technology/surgery hasn't really caught up with us evolving as a species yet, it doesn't mean it's less than or not as. 

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that even though I am not concerned personally by this topic, I am grateful to be living these times when we can bend nature's will and correct it's flaws in order to live the fullest lives we can, in the bodies we feel we were meant to live in.

No one should be forced to live inside a body that feels strange to them, especially if they have a chance to change that!

I'll tell you one more thing too: anyone willing to risk their lives to live they're future the way they feel they were meant to deserves nothing but respect and even an amount of awe.
#notransgender #nocisgender #justhuman

No comments: